Bicycle thieves caught in Kilo and Leppävaara - Police
Bicycle thieves caught in Kilo and Leppävaara
On Sunday morning July 26 th several bicycle thieves were caught after reports from the local residents.
In the first case residents informed the emergency center about three men carrying bicycles from the woods to the walkway. Men fled the scene but two of the them were later caught by the police patrol. Police found bolt cutters and other tools on them. Stolen Jopo, Baana and Jippo bicycles were found in the bushes next to the caught men. These men are also suspected of breaking into a nearby storage room.
In the other case the police was notified about a man who was looking at parked bicycles in Leppävaara. He fled the scene but was followed by a bystander until the police patrol arrived and caught the perpetrator. The Merida bicycle he was driving turned out to be stolen.
Both cases have features of what all the residents should be aware of.
- When a bicycle is stolen, there might be a ”replacement” bicycle left at the scene. These are bikes used by the thieves to get around looking for something to steal e.g. more valuable bicycles.
- Several bicycles can be stolen at once and left in the bushes for a later pick up.
- Thieves carry tools, especially bolt cutters, which are able to cut through many locks
- A bicycle can be stolen fairly quickly, even from a public place. But stealing also requires some meddling around the bikes. A real owner of a bike meddles only with his or her own bike.
- Always lock your bicycle with a sturdy lock around its frame to some structure or a bicycle rack.
When witnessing an ongoing bicycle theft, inform the emergency center 112 about the situation. The arriving police patrol needs the information about perpetrator, the stolen bicycle and direction of thief’s get away.