Western Uusimaa police department enhances the analysis and investigation of bicycle thefts – in aim to catch more thieves - Police
Western Uusimaa police department enhances the analysis and investigation of bicycle thefts – in aim to catch more thieves
Bicycle thefts have increased almost 50 per cent in the Western Uusimaa area.
Police department’s investigation units and the analysis unit have started a project which aims to decrease the amount of bicycle thefts. Analysis is done to identify and apprehend individuals selling stolen bicycles on the internet sites.
In order for the project to succeed, we ask the bike owners to do following things before and after the possible theft.
- write down the serial number of the bicycle
- take photos of your bicycle and its particular features such as replaced parts, dents etc. (these can be used to identify your bike once bikes are found in the thief’s storage
- best way to prevent a theft is to lock the bicycle with a proper lock to a solid structure or a bicycle rack
- the lock should be able to withstand basic tools including bolt cutters
- file a report to police as soon as possible via internet www.poliisi.fi or at a police station
- include the serial number, features in the report
If you find your bicycle on sale in the internet, let police know about it by mailing the information to [email protected]
Active thieves do not steal bicycles for themselves but to sell them. If you are buying a used bicycle from someone, please note that the bicycle can be taken away from you if it is found to be stolen. In some cases also the buyer can be charged for buying a stolen bicycle.