Navigation Menu

Compensation for damage caused by a crime

Compensation for damage caused by a crime 

As a victim of crime, you can apply for compensation from State funds from the State Treasury:

  • for personal injuries caused by a crime,
  • damage to property,
  • other financial loss. 

Before you can demand compensation as victim of a crime, you must report the offence to the police. If the case proceeds to court, you must demand compensation from the offender. 

The compensation paid by the State Treasury is secondary, so you must demand compensation elsewhere first, for example, from KELA, an insurance company or an unemployment / health insurance fund. 

Further information on compensation for crime damage can be obtained from the State Treasury