Other licensing matters - Police
Yksityisen turvallisuusalan luvat- muut luvat alku en
Other licensing matters
Security inspector licence
Security inspections may be conducted at police departments or other police premises, in the premises or territory of the Border Guard, in courts and in harbours and the Finnish Immigration Service. The purpose of these inspections is to ensure safety, maintain order and security and safeguard property. Specially trained people who are licensed by the police to act as security inspectors may act in this role in the locations described above.
How to apply for a licence?
Applications for a security inspector licence are submitted to the police department in the jurisdiction of which the security inspections take place by
- the individual applying for a licence
- the employer
- owner or occupant of the facility to be inspected.
The attachments required for the application depend on the type of place where the security inspection is carried out. The police considers the need for information on a case-by-case basis.
Yksityisen turvallisuusalan luvat- muut luvat loppu en
Amendment or cancellation of security inspector licence
The police department that issued a security inspector licence may, if necessary and at the individual’s own or their employer's request, cancel the licence or amend its terms or validity.
With regard to licensed harbour security inspectors, the licence may be cancelled if the person's security steward licence has been cancelled at the request of the authorities, or he or she no longer meets the requirements set for a security steward licence.
The licence to act as a security inspector may be cancelled if the licence holder no longer meets the licensing requirements with regard to honesty, reliability, or suitability for the job. The licence holder must fulfil the licensing requirement at all times.
Appointing a security steward to provide assistance to the police or the Finnish Border Guard
In some cases, a security steward may be appointed to provide assistance to the police or the Border Guard. In these cases, additional resources are usually needed to maintain order and security, but such resources are not reasonably available with other means. The licence for appointing security steward is granted by the police department of the area, place or the place of departure of the means of transport.
Security stewards may be appointed, for example
- to a health care or social welfare facility with the exception of reform schools and child welfare facilities on the application of the holder of the health care or social welfare facility
- to a service point of KELA, the Social Insurance Institution of Finland on the application of KELA
- to an Employment and Economic Development Office on the application of the Employment and Economic Development Office
- to a shopping centre on the application of the holder of the shopping centre
- to a public transport station on the application of the holder of the station
- to a harbour on the application of the holder of the harbour
- to an airport on the application of the holder of the airport
- to a public transport vehicle on the application of the holder of the vehicle
- to a reception centre or registration centre on the application of the centre or the Finnish Immigration Service.
The licence to appoint security stewards remains valid for a maximum of five years. Terms related to the training, carrying of forcible means equipment, duty area, placement and number of the security stewards may be added to the licence.
The police department that issued the licence may cancel it or amend its terms or validity period due to such changes in the circumstances that significantly affect the maintenance of order and safety in the duty area.
In the areas and on the locations referred to above, security stewarding may be performed only by a holder of a security sector business licence who can assign the duties to a licensed security steward who is in the holder's employment and has satisfactorily completed guard training or who has a valid guard licence, and who is under 68 years of age.
Personal security clearance
The party arranging training for the duties of managers, use-of-force trainers, firearms trainers, guards, security stewards and security officers is entitled to request a personal security clearance to be performed on persons seeking to be a student or a teacher for the course.