Examinations for the firearms officers of firearms dealers in 2022
Examinations for the firearms officers of firearms dealers in 2023
The National Police Board’s Firearms Administration holds examinations for firearms officers in accordance with Section 16 of the Firearms Decree on
- Tuesday 7 February 2023 (registration and payment no later than 17.01.2023)
- Tuesday 9 May 2023 (registration and payment no later than 18.04.2023)
- Tuesday 5 September 2023 (registration and payment no later than 15.08.2023)
- Tuesday 14 November 2023 (registration and payment no later than 24.10.2023)
The place for the examination is Riihimäki or other locality to be notified later.
Registration and participation fees
Please register for the examination through this Webropol -link.
The registration must be done no later than three weeks before the examination. The registration is binding.
The examination fee is EUR 160. The fee must be paid to the National Police Board’s Nordea bank account FI31 1660 3000 1178 31 no later than three weeks before the date of the examination.
Please enter the following in the message or reference field:
- Firearms Administration / name of examination and examination date
- Participant’s name and personal identity code.
Passing the exam is a requirement for acting as a firearms officer
The exam must be passed if you want to be certified as a firearms officer for a firearms dealer. You can take the exam in either Finnish or Swedish (not yet in English). The exam consists of two sections. Successful completion of each section qualifies the candidate to act as a firearms officer in the corresponding trade.
The sections are
- engaging in the firearms trade; and
- the manufacture of firearms, firearm components, cartridges and specially dangerous projectiles as well as the repair and conversion of firearms and firearm components.
Bring an identity card or passport
Please remember to bring your valid identity card or valid passport so your identity can be verified at the entry of the examination. A driving licence is not considered proof of identity.
In the examination, you must demonstrate that you understand current legal provisions. A list of provisions included in the scope of the examination can be found on the Police website along with trade permits for dealing in firearms.
Questions regarding practical matters surrounding the exam may be directed to Coordinator Susanna Kouvalainen, tel. +358 295 481 958.
Further questions regarding the contents of the exam may be directed to Superintendent Ilmari Kosonen, tel. +358 295 481 852.
Further information about applying for firearms trade permits can be found on the police website
Requirements of the firearms officers’ exam on the police website