To what does the licence entitle?
The security sector business licence entitles the holder to engage in business activities everywhere in Finland and on Finnish vessels. The licence remains in effect until further notice. The licence is issued by the National Police Board. The National Police Board may add terms and limitations to a security sector business licence.
To whom are these licences granted?
A security sector business licence may be granted to a natural person who:
- is at least 18 years old
- is known to be an honest and reliable person, and has the personal qualities to make them suitable for the job
- is not bankrupt or subject to any limitations of mandate
- has sufficient financial resources to run the business well.
A security sector business licence may be granted to a legal entity, if:
- it has sufficient financial resources to run the business well
- the persons in its administrative bodies and the managing director and, in the case of a partnership, the partners and, in the case of a limited partnership, the general partners, are at least 18 years of age, honest, reliable, have suitable personal qualities, and are not bankrupt or subject to any limitations of mandate.
Applicants (both natural persons and legal entities) must have a business ID and a business name entered into the Trade Register, or at a minimum, a pending application for them, or other equivalent information (e.g., foundations, associations, etc.)
A security sector business licence for security services involving work requiring certification must be granted to natural persons meeting the above-mentioned requirements, and to legal entities meeting the above-mentioned requirements.
Terms and conditions of the licence
The National Police Board may add temporal and local terms and conditions and limitations to a business licence in the private sector. The terms and conditions and limitations may be based on the nature and extent of the activities, number of offices and their location. The National Police Board can make amendments to the terms and conditions and limitations if changes take place in the circumstances on which they are based.
List of holders of private security sector business licences
List of private security companies (only in Finnish)